Prep Time: 5-10 minutes | Cook Time: 25-30 minutes | Servings: 6
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce or marinara of choice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ½ lb fresh mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, rough chop
- 1 egg
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees F. Cut off stems and butts of eggplants and slice lengthwise 1/4-1/2 inch thickness. Place on a baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Salt and pepper, as desired. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven, and set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350° degrees F.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt oil. Add diced onions, garlic, mushrooms, and lightly brown. Add ground turkey, cook through and add desired seasonings (oregano, salt, pepper). Pour in jar of sauce and reduce heat to low.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, cottage, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses. Add egg and stir to combine. Gently fold in fresh spinach.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the bottom of the pan with cooked eggplant slices. Top slices with ½ of cheese mixture. Top cheese mixture with ½ of sauce mixture. Repeat eggplant, cheese, and sauce. Sprinkle the top with extra shredded cheese (if desired) and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is lightly browned.